- Meal Type: Lunch, Dinner
- Dietary Type: Omnivore
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serves: 4
Meal: Lunch or Dinner
Dietary Type: Omnivore
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
This simple, summery pasta dish is a two-pan wonder. Shrimp, onion, garlic, bell peppers, broccoli, and mushrooms are tossed in a simple seasoning of garlic and extra virgin olive oil. The shrimp and veggies are baked together on a single baking sheet before being tossed together with whole wheat penne pasta. A little sprinkle of basil and provolone cheese finish this delicious pasta dish. A great meal for a packable lunch or casual weeknight dinner.
Hacking this Recipe: Prep the vegetables in this recipe ahead of time and store, refrigerated, until ready to cook. The pasta can also be cooked ahead of time, and chilled, for a cold entree or side salad.
8 oz (227 g) whole wheat penne pasta
4 tablespoons (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
4 each (15 g) garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 cup (100 g) red onion, peeled and sliced
1 cup (100 g) red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
1 cup (100 g) green bell peppers, seeded and sliced
2 cups (160 g) broccoli florets
2 cups (140 g) mushrooms, quartered
1lb (454 g) raw shrimp, peeled
1 teaspoon (4 g) salt
pinch of black pepper
1 cup (130 g) cherry tomatoes, halved or diced
2 tablespoons (1 g) fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup (30 g) provolone cheese, crumbled or diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
- Fill a large pot halfway full with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add noodles and cook following the instructions on the package. Once the noodles are tender, drain, rinse, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place oil, garlic, onion, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, shrimp, salt, and pepper, toss to combine. Transfer veggies and shrimp to a large baking sheet, spreading the contents out in an even layer, and place in the oven.
- Bake for 12-20 minutes or until the veggies are tender-crisp and the shrimp are cooked through.
- Transfer the baked shrimp, veggies, and tomatoes to a clean, large bowl. Add the noodles and toss to combine.
- Divide pasta between plates and sprinkle with basil and provolone before serving.
Vegetarian and Vegan Modifications: Tofu is a great vegetarian or vegan alternative to the shrimp in this recipe. You can also substitute the cheese in this recipe for your favorite vegan alternative.
Gluten-Free Modifications: N/A
Have you ever considered planning out your meals more carefully, just like you do your workouts? Check out our calendar-based Meal Plan, which was built with registered dietitians and nutritionists, so you know it's going to be good. It's a healthy, whole food meal plan that details 3 meals and 3 snacks, every day for four weeks.