Harvest bowl with Chickpeas, Greens & Veggies
Harvest bowl are the ultimate celebration of produce in seasons. No matter if it is summer, spring, fall or winter, Nature offers a variety of colorful and vibrant veggies to delight our tastebuds and nourish our bodies.
It is curious how intelligent seasonal eating is when it comes to the nutritional need of our bodies. Each season provides us with the types of fruits and veggies that we are most in need of. During the darker days we are abundant in hearty beans and roots which gives us energy for a prolonged amount of time and keep us warm and energized. On the other hand spring is all about the greens that detoxify the body and bring more vitality whereas summer is loaded with juicy fruit to keep us moving throughout the long sunny hours of the day.
This harvest bowl is a beautiful example of this transitional period between winter and spring. We still enjoy earthy and juicy beet, but combine it with cleansing and nutrient-dense greens for optimum energy and nutrition.
Check out some of our other recipes:
- Healthy packed lunch idea - Quick & easy to-go lunch
- Nutrition Powerhouse Beet Veggie Burger
- Easy Homemade Mushroom Mozzarella Pizza
This recipe is so easy you can make it on the go, pack it for lunch or take it out on a weekend picnic. Do not forget to customize it depending on the season (and your fridge leftovers) so that you get a variety of nutrients and enjoy a new flavor each time!
Type: Vegan, vegetarian
Prep Time: 1 h
Cook time: 15 min
2-3 cups mixed leafy greens
1 cup dried or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 medium beetroot (cooked; boiled)
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 handful of pomegranate seeds
2 tbsp smoked red pepper
salt, black pepper
2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
4 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
4 tbsp water
1. Rinse and soak chickpeas the night before if you are using dried beans.
2. On the next day rinse the chickpeas well and transfer to a pan with 1.5 l filtered water.
3. Bring to a boil and cook for 30-40 minutes until the chickpeas are soft and tender.
4. Remove from heat, season with salt and let soak in the liquid for 15 minutes.
5. Rinse all vegetables well. Slice beets, bell peppers and carrot on a mandolin or with a peeler.
6. In a skillet heat some coconut oil or ghee. Add the smoked pepper and stir just until fragrant.
7. Add the chickpeas and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring vigorously to cover the chickpeas. Season with salt and pepper.
8. In a big bowl add leafy greens and sliced veggies. Toss to combine.
9. Add the chickpeas and decorate with avocado slices and pomegranate seeds.
10. Mix all ingredients for the dressing and stir well.
Season the salad and enjoy rightaway!
Note: You can freely sub chickpeas for quinoa or beans. Just do not forget to soak them in advance so that they cook and digest more easily. The same goes for any of the veggies; if you don't like any that we've used, feel free to sub out for your favorites. If you prefer, you can also top with an egg or meat.