- Meal Type: Lunch, Dinner
- Dietary Type: Vegetarian
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serves: 2
The real pizza lover knows that the best quality pizza is always made at home.
It is actually pretty easy to make delicious pizza at home. The best thing is that you can customize it with whatever you have in the fridge and still end up with a delicious and nutritious meal.
The key elements, that you should make sure you buy of high quality, are tomato sauce and mozzarella. You can make your own tomato sauce by just blending peeled tomatoes but there are some great brands that are offering clean tomato sauce made with nothing but red fruit and some salt. Opt for this instead of ketchup or other processed items. You will be surprised by the taste you bring in!
Next, you need real, good quality mozzarella. It is a traditional Italian type of flavorful fresh cheese that melts beautifully when baked. Of course you can experiment with different types and find your own preferences.
More recipe videos: Healthy packed lunch idea - Quick & easy to-go lunch
And finally – olive oil. Freshly baked homemade pizza is just crying for a little drizzle for extra flavor, healthy fats and nutrition boost. Always choose cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil in order to get all the beneficial fatty that are building your cells, nerves and hormones.
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 15 min
Serves: 2 people
300 g pizza dough (recipe below) - or, store bought flatbread, tortilla, or pizza crust
150 g tomato sauce
125 g mozzarella
½ red pepper
½ green pepper
olive oil for drizzling
For the pizza dough:
1 cup lukewarm water
1 tsp active dry yeast
2 cups wheat or white flour (preferably organic and/or unbleached - as minimally processed as possible)
1 tsp salt
1. Make the dough: Mix water and yeast in a bowl and whisk to dissolve. Let it rest for 15 min.
2. Sift in the flour and stir with a spatula until a loose dough.
3. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until a fluffy but firm texture. Set aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°
5. Rinse and slice peppers, mushrooms and mozzarella.
6. On a floured surface, roll the dough into the desired thickness (around 0.5 cm).
7. In a baking tray, sprinkle flour and the pizza dough.
8. Spread the tomato sauce and the mozzarella slices evenly.
9. Spread the sliced veggies on top.
10. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden (watch closely)
11. Drizzle with olive oil and serve topped with fresh arugula leaves if desired.
Notes: Pizza dough can be made in advance and kept in the fridge in a tight container for up to 5 days. Let it rise a little bit before using.
What’s not to love about a homemade pizza? Roll your sleeves and get cooking. It is the ultimate weekend treat with your family or friends. Do not forget to try making the dough yourself – it tastes way better than the store bought and that way you know exactly what it's made of.
Feel free to make your own pizza version and use whatever seasonal food you have in the fridge at the moment – onions, pineapple, artichoke, beets, pumpkin, kale, spinach, zucchini are great toppings as well.
Now you know that we eat pizza in our house! Related vlog: I don't workout or eat like you think I do; An argument for moderation
What are your favorite pizza toppings?