E

A holiday reminder :)

You don't have to workout to "earn" your food. You don't have to workout after eating to "burn off" your food. You don't have to restrict before big meals to "save up" calories. You don't have to avoid parties or events involving food because you fear overdoing it. You don't have to eat super healthy before having dessert to "balance it out." You don't need to get back on track next week or next year (or anytime, for that matter).

Food is just food. It's energy that fuels our lives and gives us the ability to do the things we love. Food doesn't have morals, it can't be "good" or "bad." You aren't naughty for eating one thing or "being good" for eating another.

During this wonderful season, enjoy yourself. Honor your cravings. Put the least amount of mental energy you possibly can to food--in other words, don't overthink it. Eat what'll make you feel good, whether that's five cookies, a bowl of pasta, or a fresh salad.

I know a lot of us fear weight gain when it comes to this time of year, but I think it's important to remember that you most likely wouldn't even know if you gained anything if there was no scale to tell you. Sure, you might feel a bit bloated or sluggish from eating different and/or more foods than normal, but a few pounds gained isn't even noticeable. Life is about so much more than a number on a scale or a figure you see in the mirror. If maintaining a certain weight is costing you your freedom or happiness, than maybe it isn't really worth it.

If you'll be working out over the next few days, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. If you'd like to spend time moving your body then by all means do it! However, if you don't have the time or simply want to spend time watching movies on the couch or visiting with family, that is absolutely just as okay. Whatever you choose to spend your time on this holiday season, make sure it brings you joy. You are worthy, loved, and absolutely deserving of any food you desire no matter how much you move your body during this time of year (or any other time, for that matter).

I know some people may not agree with my beliefs around food (and that's absolutely okay), I just hope that all of you are content with where you are in terms of your relationship to food/exercise. It's not talked about a lot, but making sure this relationship is healthy is so important.

Anyway, I think that's enough rambling for now. I hope you all have an absolutely wonderful holiday (if you celebrate) and a great new year!