Okay, so I am absolutely addicted to chicken nuggets. It's one of the few junk foods I still can't seem to shake. I've been trying to make them at home for a while, but I hate chicken nugget recipes that involve cubing a chicken breast and going from there. Mini chicken breasts are not nuggets! After much trial and error, I have finally found a delicious, satisfying, easy and healthy homemade nugget recipe!
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
1 tbsp olive oil
.5 tsp garlic powder
.5 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
.25 cup flour
2 tsp paprika
2 eggs, beaten
.5 cup panko bread crumbs
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees (220 celsius) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or spray with cooking spray).
2) Place chicken, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper in a food processor or blender. Pulse until it forms a paste.
3) Mix paprika in with the flour and set up your dredging station.
4) Roll the chicken paste into small balls (I wear disposable gloves for this). Coat each nugget in flour, then egg (shake off excess), and then coat with panko. Set on baking sheet.
5) Press each ball down with a fork to form a nugget shape.
6) Bake for 8 minutes, turn the nuggets, then bake for another 8 minutes.
These can also be frozen - I freeze them raw on a baking sheet, then once they're solid I move them to a storage container. When baking from frozen, I usually need 10 minutes per side.