E

Sometimes you just need a little break

I've seen a lot of fellow blenders on here recently complain of a lack of motivation for working out and just wanted to pitch in with an experience I had yesterday that relates a lot to that.

Throughout all of my classes at school yesterday, all I could think about was how much I dreaded the idea of the HIIT and abs workout I had scheduled for later in the day. Seriously, just imagining it made me feel defeated and annoyed. I've really been struggling recently with feeling like I'm forcing myself to workout, and it's been bumming me out to think that I'm not enjoying things as much as I used to. At first I thought about just pushing through and doing it anyway, but then I just stopped and asked myself "What do you actually want to do? What would make your body feel good?" And it turns out that what I really wanted to do was something completely different: go for a run.

I haven't gone for a legitimate run since I did a 5k several years ago, so it was kinda surprising to think that that was what my body felt like it needed. I ended up just running two miles, going on the stationary bike for around 30 minutes, and then finishing it off with a ten minute FB Ab workout. I felt so good afterwards, and today I actually woke up feeling refreshed and excited to get my #workoutcomplete with Kelli and Daniel!

I think I've just come to realize that I'm no longer exercising for aesthetic goals. Would I like to build some more muscle? Definitely! However, I don't have specific things I want to change about my body anymore. I'm a very follow-the-rules kind of person and often end up forcing myself to adhere to a schedule that doesn't make me very happy. I know that technically following a 5-day workout week with two upper body days, two lower body days, and a core-focused day is what's most balanced, but if I'm going to be honest, I just don't like it. And that's okay! I want to workout to feel good, not to feel stressed or annoyed at the thought of doing a video when I'm just not feeling it. As much as I absolutely love following a workout program, sometimes it makes me feel too constricted--I feel like I absolutely have to do each video on the day it's scheduled for or else I've "failed" somehow. I know it's a ridiculous thought, but I honestly can't help it.

I know this post has been long and probably doesn't make much sense, but I just want to encourage you all to switch things up once and a while (if you feel like it, of course) and don't be afraid to try new forms of exercise. It may be as easy as trying out one of the kickboxing videos or doing some yoga, or it could be taking zumba classes at a local gym. Finding joy in movement is SO important, and being able to say you do all types of exercise is pretty cool, too! I'm actually starting up dance classes again with my mom this Friday, which I'm really looking forward to! I haven't danced in a little over a year, and I honestly don't think I would've signed up again if it wasn't for the confidence I've gained from Kelli, Daniel, and all of you! I'm beyond happy and grateful to be feeling motivated to workout again, and I really hope that all of you experience this kind of excitement, too. I know sometimes we can get into a rut of feeling like exercise is all about losing weight/maintaining shape/gaining muscle, but it's important to remember that it's even more so about feeling good--inside and out.