Derailed by ankle injury - feeling down and uncertain about the path forward

FB friends, I’m interested in your input (and maybe a little boost). I’m feeling really down. As always, my post is too long. The TL/DR: please share your advice/stories about recovering from an injury.

For the last 5-plus months I’ve managed to create a really consistent, vigorous exercise habit, alternating between running and Fitness Blender workouts (and golf). The numbers on the scale didn’t change much (probably because I needed to work on my diet), but I definitely saw changes in my physical shape and was fitting into clothes I hadn’t worn for a while.

I have been feeling really good....and then I had a bad fall while on a run on Monday, which resulted in a (fortunately) tiny ankle fracture. The doctor recommended a tensor bandage and crutches over a boot, and she seemed to think I could be running/exercising again in about 3 weeks.

Right now, I’m not convinced. Everything I read (on hopefully reliable sources) suggests that recovery will be quite a bit longer and my own experience with sprained ankles has resulted in much longer recovery periods. It’s a bit frustrating because I feel like most of the available information is either geared towards ankle sprains or more serious ankle fractures - and I think my situation is in-between.

I’ve booked a physio appointment for Monday - I don’t know if that is too early or not. And I’m trying to figure out how to approach exercise while I’m recovering. I hope I’ll be able to do some swimming, and I guess I can do upper body workouts and maybe some core stuff and possibly even some Pilates for lower body. But I know it won’t give me the same benefits as the running/HIIT/lower body workouts I’ve also had in my schedule. I have read that cycling can be good exercise while recovering from an ankle injury but I confess I am not a huge fan of spinning.

Setting aside my feelings about having to start over (when I’m ready to) and my fear of losing some of the toning and getting flabbier again, I’ve also noticed how much the exercise had been helping my mental health and resilience, especially during a stressful time at work. I’m alternating between feeling down and feeling grumpy right now.

So that was a very long post full of self-pity. If you’re still reading, I would love to hear your advice and your recovery stories.