#EatRealFood Lebanese Edition

So with Andrew and FTT posting all these wonderful world culture cuisines, I couldn't help but jump in because it so happens that I was cooking 2 of my favorite Lebanese dishes today.

I am not Arabic by ethnicity, but by association :) My husband's father/family is from Lebanon. Plus I grew up in Southeast Michigan, which is home to one of the largest Lebanese communities in the US.

I wanted to share some of the fun ingredients and cooking techniques used in these two dishes: Fattoush and Mujadara.

Fattoush is traditionally a "bread salad", however I left that out. But what makes this salad is the greens base and the dressing. The greens are romaine, parsley and mint! mmm...love the use of mint here. The dressing is a vinaigrette utilizing the wonderful flavors of pomegranate molasses and a spice called sumac.

The mujadara is a lentil pilaf that can be made a variety of ways depending on region and family preference. We make ours with bulghar wheat (coarse) and no spices other than salt. What makes this dish special is the caramelized onion...oooh my. 4 cups of onions caramelized down to yummy brown goodness; to which you add the broth/water thereby creating the base you cook the lentils and bulghar in. Top with crispy fried onions and you have a highly flavorful vegetarian dish. I like mine with a side of hummus and baba ghanouj (roasted eggplant dip)

Thank you for reading :)