Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

Intermittent Fasting to reduce belly fat

There have been a few discussions here on intermittent fasting. I have decided to try it. I am normal in weight (129 lbs at 5'5") and generally well satisfied. However, as a post menopausal woman (68 years), I am thicker in the mid-section relative to my other measurements. I don't care about over all weight loss, but I would like to reduce belly fat. I already exercise 200-300 minutes a week, and I already have eliminated most refined sugar from my diet. So I have decided to do two more things that are suggested for losing belly fat: 1) increase my intake of soluble fiber and 2) try intermittent fasting (IF). According to a review of studies, IF may aid reduction in belly fat by 4-7 percent in 3-24 weeks. Starting next weekend, I will begin a 24-week period of intermittent fasting. (I would start this weekend but I already at breakfast this morning.) I have selected an IF protocol in which I fast one day a week, from dinner on Saturday to dinner on Sunday. My expectations are modest: I hope to see a 1-inch reduction in waist measurement by the end of 24 weeks. I'll post my progress and results.