E

Sugar Detox DAY 30!!! We made it โ€” Reflections ๐Ÿ˜๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ’

WOW! We made it ๐Ÿ™‚ Whatever level at which you engaged this challenge, thank you for your participation and consistency with commenting and sharing your journey. Iโ€™m still grappling with unbelief about today ACTUALLY being DAY 30! When I offered the invitation to this challenge, I didnโ€™t think anyone would be interested enough to take the journey, especially with the varying belief systems about sugar and deprivation, etc. But, not only were people interested, but several of you have actually stuck it out and continued to engage. As a result, we have built a an even more intimate community that wants to stay connected โ€” which I think is amazing! ๐Ÿ˜Š I am incredibly grateful to have had the opportunity to connect with all of you.

As Iโ€™ve mentioned, this 30 days was the second round for me. I actually ended up doing about 62ish days, and I have had tremendous results โ€” mentally and physically. Cold turkey no sweets and careful consideration of sugar in other foods was the best decision of 2018, so far ๐Ÿ˜„ For me, giving up desserts and other sugary foods and drink was not just about fitness of body, but fitness of mind. My goal for this year is to achieve hardcore discipline in all areas of my life. I have intellectual and life goals and pursuing them is my definition of enjoyment and how I measure quality of life. There is always a measure of sacrifice required for accomplishment. So I find pleasure in the pain, knowing where it will lead me.

Using sugar as a coping mechanism made me extremely self-indulgent... I eventually lost all discipline and was always seeking fleeting โ€œpleasuresโ€/distractions: television, YouTube, socializing to point of codependency, food food food. I did not feel like myself and I almost started to hate myself bc I had no control over myself. This might sound like a ridiculous accusation against sugar, BUT itโ€™s my story/journey/reality ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธ

Breaking away from sugar gave me back my mind, my attention span, my concentration, my connection to reality (and the ability to work through some rough spots of that reality). Mind you, there are serious consequences of sugar and sugar dependence that do not run this deep. So one might be tempted to say โ€œwell, sugar doesnโ€™t affect me that way so itโ€™s okayโ€ โ€” not really... its effects on longevity and long-term effects on cognitive function should still be considered, as many of you knoooowโ˜๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ™‚

I look forward to sharing my before and after photos tomorrow! I have a looooong way to go before I reach my final destination, but I am blown away by this process: what Iโ€™m learning about my body and what is takes to live well through food (both in consumption and abstinence). Transforming oneโ€™s body in a slow and steady sustainable way is a long journey of consistency! But I truly believe I am learning and grasping the lessons needed to care for myself and maintain permanent change. Someone told me recently that I havenโ€™t been on this journey long enough to know if Iโ€™ll sustain it; that leaving behind sugar would essentially ensure my failure ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ. Not only was this incredibly rude, but ignorant and false. While I am human and susceptible to failure at anything at anytime, it is actually THIS knowledge and understanding that keeps me โ€œsober and vigilantโ€ in my pursuit of longevity and commitment to caring for myself. At the present, I am a mere fraction of the person I endeavor to be โ€” but when once she was a speck in the distance, I now *recognize* her, in myself. She is very small, but very present.

Dreams are more likely to be achieved with the help of community. I am so grateful to you all for your encouragement and authenticity. Canโ€™t wait to hear your own stories, whether you saw big change or small change mentally or physically (they need not be a philosophical essay such as this has become ๐Ÿ˜‚); and I look forward to seeing your transformations โ€” should you choose to share. ๐ŸŽ‰

So proud of us! ๐Ÿ’›

EJ