Weekend Check in

I am at the end of my first week on the "healthy bus" and I was reflecting a little on the week last night. I lost 3 pounds, but I'm more amazed by the other side-effects of eating healthy and working out I've already experienced.

It's been a really long time since I've went a whole week eating mostly whole foods - I got to a point where I was relying on processed food and fast food to make up the majority of my diet. It's also been an even longer time since I've had a regular workout practice. For a few months (upwards of a year or more, if I'm honest) now I've just felt unmotivated, unhealthy, and lethargic. My anxiety was worse than it had ever been and I was having panic attacks over every little thing.

The first thing I noticed this week was that I felt motivated. A couple mornings I had to drag myself out the door for my morning walk, but the rest of the day, I felt SO good. I walked every weekday morning, 2-3 miles. I wanted to get my workouts done (strength training 3x this week) and I wanted to eat healthy because I felt so good and I had so much energy (even on the days I was struggling through the caffeine and sugar withdrawals and sleepiness lol).

The second thing I noticed was I could much, much better cope with my emotions. I had one day where I was feeling a little sad, missing my dog and missing my boyfriend, and I let myself feel those emotions and then I felt better. I didn't have a panic attack! That was such a good moment, to realize I can have better control over these things, just because I've been treating my body better and because I've got some good hormones coming in from those walks and workouts.

The last thing I noticed was that I never once had the urge to binge. Maybe it's just the newness of this healthy eating and maybe those urges will come back, but I felt so good that I just didn't want to throw away the way my body and my mind felt after eating so well. Even yesterday, on my rest day where I played Fallout 4 all day long, and on the day I felt sad, I was barely even tempted by the snacks and fast food my parents had around the house. And I am very much a stress and boredom eater.

In all, it was a very good week. Today, I'm going out with my mom and my aunt for burgers and milkshakes and I'm not afraid. I'm not dealing with bad self image, struggling to cope with my emotions, or worried about my weight. This is just week 1, but wow, I just feel good, and I'm so motivated to keep this up and feel healthy and strong and happy again.