E

DAY 11 Sugar Detox: Food + Memory + Cravings

DAY 11 ☀️🌻🎉

Yesterday, I had an interesting experience whilst visiting my alma mater. It has been a few months since graduation and, although I have visited since then, yesterday was the first time since I’ve started taking my fitness goals more seriously - which has been the last 43 days of my sugar detox.

I had a book club meeting in the area, so I decided to stop in at the university library to read and work on my personal statement for the grad school applications I’ll be submitting this fall. Whilst reading, sleepiness came over me and right after yawning I had a craving for a latte! Not just caffeine in general, not just for a nap, but a latte, specifically. It was a familiar sequence - typically whenever I’d get sleepy and yawn, I’d skip on over to Einstein Bros. for a chai tea latte or caramel macchiato. How crazy that being in the library and sleepiness has triggered my old pattern of drinking lattes. This happened again later on whilst passing vending machines - I was again triggered by my old pattern of frequenting vending machines for chips, cookies, and candy between classes and on study breaks, and I actually felt drawn to repeat these activities.

I didn’t give in to these triggers, but it was such an interesting experience to see how much these patterns are tied into my university memories, and how they emerge when I am in that setting.

Pasted below is an article that talks a bit about food and memory; this bit hits on how I was feeling yesterday!:

“Your eating decisions are based on memories more often than you realize. When you are not in touch with your stream of food-related memories it could lead to unplanned eating and cravings.”

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8011508

Have y’all experienced something like this before? How places and things can trigger memories and patterns relating to food? Or maybe something other than food?