E

Intro + Prep Round 2: 30-Day Sugar Detox Challenge (07/23)

Parameters of challenge:

Abstaining from desserts, candy, pastries, and “dessert drinks” or sugary beverages like soda/lemonade/sweet tea/juice/lattes, etc. for 30 days.

**Begins Monday, July 23-Tuesday, August 21**

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Prep: 4 ways to mentally prepare for sugar detox

Hello Blenders!

I am so proud of you who have decided to take this challenge! I did Round 1 of sugar-free challenge alone, after I’d arrived at a moment of FED UP. I was sick of being sugar dependent, failing at trying to rehabilitate my dependency, and I was tired of not seeing results with my body. During Round 1, I broke my dependency, and am doing Round 2 to solidify the new habits I’ve built and to see how my body and mind have evolved at 60 days. I have extended the invitation to you because I know some of you are arriving at your own moment of FED UP.

Below are a few reminders of what to expect over the next 30 days, based on things I learned and experienced during Round 1.

1. Expect cravings and disappointment/sadness/fomo (fear of missing out)/temptation

It will suck. It will be hard. You will think you can’t do it. However, these are perfectly NORMAL and EXPECTED feelings. Don’t be surprised at them! We already know it’s going to be difficult! We already know feelings of panic and longing WILL flood our brains and bodies when confronted with cravings or offerings from other people. I was hardcore - I didn’t give in, even at birthday parties (one of which was my mother’s - she was not offended a bit). I share this to say that it takes a fervent determination to transform your mind and body, and sometimes you get to a point of nothing being worth the cost of your goals (within reason). That is the point at which I found myself at the start (and end) of Round 1. For yourself, estimate what you think you can do, and push just a little further.

2. Write a mission statement of 2 or sentences or so, and keep it on your smartphone —- refer to it when experiencing moments of weakness

I wrote down why I was detoxing and what I hoped to gain by abstaining. I reviewed my "why" frequently, and recited...LITERALLY RECITED it whenever I was feeling weak, surrounded by goodies, or even had the urge to “treat” myself for doing so well. The "why" will get you through! I would ask myself, does my body and mind align with my goals for them, yet? Asking this question reminded me that this life-changing decision was bringing me closer to becoming the person I wanted to be AND see.

3. PAUSE —- breathe —- and say “NO.” Out loud if you have to. Doing so gives you strength to say “no” again, stronger the second time. And, it gives you confidence to believe that you mean what you’re saying. When I would say “no” it was often weak, but as I kept repeating it, I literally felt stronger and in control. What tends to happen is, when confronted with sweets, you brain is FLOODED with desire and craving, and you think “How could I possibly say ‘no’?! I can’t!” But, YOU CAN! Before you take any steps toward acting on those thoughts and feelings, take a moment to let them wash over you, sit in them for a beat. Take a deep breath as they flood you. Say, “Yes, I really want this [insert delicious sugar treat here]. I hate that I’m missing out, but I have a goal and if I keep giving in, I’ll never get there.”

4. Don’t look at this challenge as merely a “break” from sugar because you may end up bingeing on Day 31.

Think of it as a recalibration of your psychology and habits. Think of it as training for peace and balance, control and clarity. You are breaking dependency so that you can control sugar, instead of it controlling YOU. For most of you (if not all), your goal is not to give up sweets for life. But, it’s difficult to assert control over an addictive substance when you’re still under its influence. This challenge is, essentially, a rehabilitation to give you back control.

You know when you’re compromising and you know when you’re on track. Be honest with yourselves! I know this is unconventional to say, but don’t be afraid to activate tough love during this challenge. I gave myself plenty of lectures! And they weren’t condemning or shaming, they were reminders of why I’m doing what I’m doing and that I am worth the commitment.

I will be checking in every single day of this challenge. It is a space for honesty, transparency, and confession. Do not be afraid to share the mistakes. Transformation is HARD and takes TIME. Community is important for success! This is a tough challenge, but the goal is to literally try your HARDEST and give it your all as we cheer you and each other on. Through it all, we support each other.

Lastly, I made a habit of recording my "victories" for the day, at night. I would write down the junk I'd rejected, or the workout I completed, or the negative emotion I worked through in a healthy way. Recording daily victories is a great way to build confidence!

I know this post is long, but I wanted you to feel as equipped and supported as possible going into the challenge. Let me know how else I can help. So grateful for this community that K.D. have provided for us!

Be FREE, Blenders