M
Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

Sudden Intense Sugar Cravings

Hey guys! I've been having this weird problem lately, and wanted to get some outside input on it. I'm a 29 year-old-female, average weight (5 foot two/122 lbs), and am relatively new to strength training/more intense forms of cardio (I just started it February of this year). Before then, I regularly did yoga and lighter cardio, but not much higher intensity exercise.

Diet-wise, I haven't always eaten the best. I've been a vegetarian for years, but much of what I ate had little nutritional value. Lately I've been making gradual improvements to my diet though. I incorporate more fruits and veggies into it, and am trying to lessen my dependence on things like pizza and unhealthy snack foods. I don't forbid myself from anything though. I'm just trying to train myself into reaching for healthy foods more often.

Given my gradual approach to changing the way I eat, the fact that I've started getting intense sugar cravings is very confusing. I've always had a sweet tooth, but never got cravings for sugar in the way I do now. My sugar cravings hit me hard, in that no other food will suffice when I have them. And in terms of frequency, I've been getting the cravings every day.

Any idea what could be causing this, based on the information I provided above? Can this kind of problem be caused by an increase in exercise intensity, or even the gradual changes in diet I mentioned? Could it be a sign of a health issue? I know there's no way to tell exactly what's causing it based on an online post, but I just wanted to get some ideas on what it could be.

Not sure if this is related or not, but I also sometimes feel nauseous at the thought of certain foods that I've started incorporating into my diet, even in cases where I actually like the food I've incorporated. As an example, I recently started eating crackers and hummus as an alternative to more junky snacks (and enjoyed it!). However, this week I haven't eaten any hummus since the thought of it makes me feel nauseous. It's very confusing.

Thanks to anyone who got through all I wrote above!