Taking personal well-being inventory

Yesterday, I took the time to think about my body and how it has changed since working out. I urge everyone to do this today. I don't mean measure the inches or pounds lost, though those can be important milestones. I mean check out function. I bounded around the grocery story yesterday feeling like gravity had lessened its hold on me. I felt on openness and expansiveness in my lungs and chest that felt like elation. I can stand up from chairs without even feeling it. I can run up the stairs at my daughter's house. I can get in and out of the car with ease. I can get down on the floor with my grandkids and get up again with ease. I can walk 10k with friends. I can carry more bags of groceries. I can pick up my 5 year-old granddaughter (though I'm not sure why she wants that.) I have so much more energy and joy. Yes, I have slimmed down and have some muscle definition in my arms. But, yes, I still have some tummy pudge. But the profound difference has been my ability to take part in life more fully and with greater comfort. So if you have a few minutes today, I recommend ignoring the problem areas that still plague you--the calves that are too big, or the tummy that jiggles, or the bat-wing arms--and focus on the functional improvements your are feeling--the ability to walk or run a little farther, accomplish more in the garden, take the stairs two at a time, dance more, etc, etc, etc.