How I turn negative emotions into a Workout Complete.

Some of you may have read the late night post I made here a couple days ago detailing how a woman I'd loved and been best friends with for a long time cut me out of her life recently. The me from two years ago would have internalized it, but I reached out. It's a very complex situation with a lot more to it than I could really put to text. Dang, it would take a book. In fact it may wind up being in a book in fantasy form. I've already begun spinning my emotions into a story within my literary world. I suppose I'm writing this now because maybe someone can take something from this about working out.

I'm a pretty emotional guy. I wear my feelings on my sleeve most of the time these days. Not to say I'm a softy necessarily, that also translates into me being extremely blunt and assertive. I'm also a romantic at heart, which makes heart break an especially ugly scene for me. This emotional energy is the kind that keeps us in bed all day lacking the desire to even go outside.

What I do is turn to my pragmatic side and let it guide me into the realm of cold logic just long enough to get myself course corrected. I've stated before that I get motivated when I'm tired in the middle of a workout by "getting raw". I get angry. It's not a destructive anger, it's just fuel. I take all of my emotional energy and stuff it into that funnel.

So I guess I'm saying try thinking of negative emotions as fuel. Don't let it keep you in bed or on the couch, which then you'll feel guilty about not getting things done and it just replicates itself in a vicious cycle. Get "mad". The kind of mad that makes you want to go and get something done, not the kind of mad that makes you smash a lamp. Or don't. Maybe you don't get mad, you don't get "raw". Maybe when you funnel all that emotion into the fuel chamber you become calm.

Whatever works for you. The point is you can make negative emotion, destructive emotion, work for you rather than against you. I know that's easily said and less easily done especially for those of you who deal with something a lot more ever present than temporary heart break depression, but I still believe in your abilities and strength.