S

Healthy Life Challenge - Meditation Week Day 6

Several people mentioned at the beginning of this challenge that they use everyday activities to practice being mindful. The walking meditation we will do today is a way of learning how to do that.

The focus of this meditation is physical sensation. To do the practice, choose a location where you can walk undisturbed for at least a few paces before turning around. Pause at the beginning to take a few deep breaths and relax the body. Then start walking slowly, paying close attention to the sensation of each individual segment of your movement. Try to notice less prominent aspects of sensation as well as the big obvious ones, eg when you place a foot on the ground, check how your wrists and face are feeling, as well as that foot. Observe your weight on the ground, your clothes against your skin, your chest rising and falling as you breathe, the air moving around you. You can walk in your normal way; you don't need to exaggerate the movement or do anything special.

You can walk for a set amount of time, a certain number of paces or lengths/circuits of your route, or a certain distance, or until you'd like to stop. If your mind starts thinking about other things, gently bring your attention back to the sensation of walking. At the end of your meditation, take some deep breaths and stretch or shake your muscles out.

I've never done this type of meditation before, and imagine it will be quite challenging to concentrate that way with my eyes open; there seems to be large potential for distraction this time. I'm looking forward to hearing what you all think!