G

How do you deal with sabotage?

Hi FB family!

I am going home for the holidays and will be staying with my mother in law. Each time I am with her (God love her) she makes so comment on what I am eating/not eating usually in the middle of our meal in front of everyone. She's said everything under the sun including:

"What, you aren't eating that?!"

"You aren't dieting are you?"

"You're skinny! You don't need to lose weight!"

"Really??! That's all your eating?! You've hardly eaten all day!"

"Oh come on, one piece won't hurt"

Etc, etc. You get the point. In actuality, I am not under-eating, just trying to be more healthy and not be in a food coma my whole vacation.

I realize what it comes down to is staying above it, not letting it rial me up (which is always does), and knowing that I am the only one who decides what goes into my mouth; however, I usually end up buckling within a few days (this seems to shut her up).

I've asked her nicely to stop, I've explained how she isn't helping me, I've politely declined her food, I've aggressively declined her food, I've even gotten a little nasty and asked her how she would like it if I commented on what she ate all the time. Nothing seems to work and I'm fresh out of ideas.

Another issue is that she usually serves unhealthy meals the entire time. I feel rude declining her food, but can only eat a little bit since it's so heavy.

How do you guys stay on track when you are at the mercy of someone else's cooking/house? And more importantly, how you you deal with sabotagers?

Thanks in advance!