S
Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

Any tips for losing fat but not weight? Really getting to my wit's end now.

Hi,

Can I just say, I really didn't mean this post to be so long (or ranty), it's just general frustration at my situation and not knowing where to turn next.

I'm really hoping someone can offer some pointers please. I've been working out with FB 5 days a week for 6 months now. I'm seeing results with muscle tone in various areas (upper especially) yet can't seem to shift the fat around my waist/buttocks/thighs. I'm 160 cm and 50 kg (weight hasn't changed at all), and I don't want to lose weight, just shift these stubborn areas. Estimated body fat is approx. 25%.

Other than FB workouts of approx. 4 hrs a week, I cycle 20km and walk about 30-40k steps (sedentary job). I eat clean 95% of the time, all homemade. I drink more than enough water. I lift as heavy as I'm capable of (which is a decent amount now) and I push myself during workouts (but not to the point of exhaustion). I make sure I have rest days; I take 1 week off FB after every 4 week program. I've completed Burn 1 (a couple of times) & 2, Strong, and am doing Sweat at the minute.

I've tried calorie tracking - based on TDEE these tend to give a result of about 1300 to 1550 per day. I've tried these, adjusting after a few weeks and no difference. I've watched macros to make sure I'm eating enough protein. I'm tired of doing this when neither measurements nor weight changes. My clothes still fit the same.

I don't actually mind gaining weight; the scale figure has never interested me. I find how my clothes fit to be more important.

But it's driving me nuts. Sure my fitness level has improved loads, and I have a lot more energy, but surely there should be some recomp from the fat to muscle by now. I read you need to eat at a deficit to lose fat, but that worries me as I really don't feel safe dropping lower, and you need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle. And I get that, but then I worry that sure I'm gaining muscle, but the fat's still sat there on top. So which would I be better doing?

Please, any fresh insight would be great. I feel I'm just going round in circles by now >