J
Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

A different Mindset

Hello everyone!

I've dealt with a few eating disorders in my young life, and it's made me really analyze my relationship with food and the way it is thought of by society. As a result, I've come to the conclusion that hardly anyone treats food the way it should be treated; simply as fuel for your body. We've come so far away from that mindset; food has become a reward, a method of therapy, and a main focus of some social gatherings. Why? Why do you need a birthday cake to celebrate? Why do you need Christmas cookies? Why do you need a pint of Ben & Jerrys when your having a bad day? Why are foods like pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, bagels, etc. considered foods that are 'appropriate' for breakfast? Why not a salad or a protein with some veggies instead? Why are "foods" like candy bars, ice cream, pies, etc. considered treats? Why do we NEED treats that are food?

Maybe if society stopped treating food as a source of pleasure and started treating it as what it really is, AN ENERY SOURCE, then there wouldn't be so much illness in the world.

Any thoughts?