D

Frustrated: to gain weight after quitting to smoke

Dear community,

I am currently really frustrated: I had a super tough start in 2018 with my sister being in trouble, helping her with her 1-yo son a lot... I was sick with severe flu twice in March because of all the stress and weren't able to do workout, what I usually do 4-5 times per week. I also had an accident with fire in my flat, had to renovate it and had trouble with my lungs. The only good side effect of all this health problems was, that I quitted smoking. I haven't been a hard smoker and it feels easy for me now to live without cigarettes, because when I crave for a smoke I always remember how awful it was when I couldn't catch my breath for a month or when I had feelings of not being able to get enough oxygen...

Anyways what is really really frustrating is my loss of strength and power since I had those trouble with my lungs and weren't able to workout frequently - at first because of all the stress, then because the illness, then because of stress again. Now I am working out like before since at least 3-4 weeks and made my PFT and the results have been of course not great, but I tryed not to judge myself. But this radical acceptance has its limits, because since 2 weeks I really start gaining weight, even though I am again in my scedule and didn't change my diet, that is based on lots of veggies with some little cheats once and a while (I lost 10-11 Kilo during 2015/16 and since then was able to keep the same weight via FB and this kind of diet). All my life I struggled with a horrible body image and it was such a relieve that I was for some years in the situation that I really felt more secure and self accepting, because I felt like i have control over my body without suffering under a restrictive diet or exessive workout.

But now I gained 3.7 kilos in two weeks and after struggling hard not feeling guilty about my strength-losses I now start really feeling frustrated, as if I have no control about my weight / my body anymore... I catch myself again thinking about being more restrictive with food and it feels like self punishment, what I asolutely hate. I don't know - maybe someone has advice for me? Thanks!