Perspiration Pals 24 April 2024

Hi there, Pals! How are you today? It’s a raining again, oh no my love’s at an end… I’m at my wits' end, more like. Don’t worry, I’m exaggerating as usual. I’m alone in the office I share with a colleague and so I could open the window (my young colleague doesn’t know what it’s like to be a perimenopausal woman so she’s cold most of the time…) and I’m listening to the birds. And another colleague’s motorbike just right now…

Anyway, I started the day by working out with Brian. It was a lower-body routine I’d done a couple of times before but I quite enjoyed it, even though I don’t particularly like four rounds of the same exercises. My push-up challenge is not going to well and my brother managed to hurt my feelings. Again. He said that doing push-ups is basic and easy. I’ve been working out for years, how come I can’t do push-ups? Why is it so hard for men to understand and imagine what it’s like to live in a human female body. Yes, lots of women can do push-ups brilliantly because all of those women practise them regularly and/or they have been doing callisthenics for years and most of them are younger than 40. (More often than not, the ones who are older than 40 have been working out for decades.) Our bodies are different. The proportions of our bodies are different. Come on. I got this backhanded compliment that I have muscular arms. Yeah… but you don’t only need your arms to do push-ups, do you? He also said that it’s probably only in my head. I can’t do push-ups because I don’t believe that I can. That much is true. I don’t believe that I can do them because, surprise, I can’t. I should be able to but I can't. Enough.

Moving on to our fact-finder fragment after my rant fragment. Did you know that your brain keeps developing until your late 40s? I didn’t. I thought my brain has been going downhill for years. Also did you know that there's a virus that attacks human DNA making people less intelligent, impairing brain activity, learning and memory. (source: https://www.newsweek.com/american-researchers-discover-stupidity-virus-283319) Bonus fact, it's scientifically proven that even a small dose of POWER changes how a person's brain operates and diminishes empathy. I’m sure we’ve all seen examples for that… OK, I’ll give you another nicer bonus fact. The smell of chocolate increases theta brain waves, which triggers relaxation.

All right, Pals, thank you for reading my short novel, have an easy day and don’t forget to smell some chocolate.