Working Out on an Empty Stomach: Good, Bad, Depends?

Hello Blender Family!

As you all have seen from the title, this question has been nagging at my mind for a while now. For as long as I have been working out I have always been told and thought, “ALWAYS fuel up properly before a workout!” Which makes sense when you think about it. Your body does need the energy and you don’t want to start feel anything bad while or after your workouts. However, lately, I’ve been a bit confused.

The other day I had an interesting conversation with my sibling. We were talking about working out and I brought up how I can’t workout unless I eat first. I will regret it if I don’t. He gave me a funny look and said that he doesn’t do that. I looked back at him with said funny look and said, “Really? You don’t eat first? Surely, you’ve regretted that, right?” Although, I wasn’t that surprised because that isn’t first time I’ve heard that. I remember knowing people who did the same and hearing there are quite a few people in the world who don’t either. Which I find interesting. I started wondering: Is it a preference thing? Does it not matter either way? I know we should listen to our bodies, but what if this is one of those situations where you shouldn’t?

Maybe I’m overthinking this, but I just legitimately am curious about the answer. If it really is a personal preference thing, I know for a fact that for me, I cannot workout on an empty stomach. My body will NOT allow for that. I absolutely MUST eat BEFORE and AFTER or I will feel dizzy, light-headed and will pass out. I won’t have as much energy or motivation.

So, what do you all have to say? If you don’t mind sharing, do any of you workout on an empty stomach? How has that worked for you? Have you regretted it? Were you fine? How many of you eat before working out like me?

I was just legitimately curious about this and wanted to know more about it. To what others thought, you know?