Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

Weight lifting and appetite

Hi everyone! FYI this post talks about calories and weight so if you're triggered by those kinds of things please be aware

For some background I'm a petite woman who is 5'1" on a tall day. My weight has been consistent at 120-125lbs and I have a little bit of fat content on my body. I would say my baseline weight and fat content is a little higher than it used to be, just because I' don't work out 5 days a week and I'm not doing super intense stuff. I usually land around 1700 calories a day (~20g protein per meal) and I don't crave snacks or feel like I need seconds. I feel satiated and it's been working well to maintain my current physique. I am mindful with food and make sure I'm getting enough protein so I don't overeat. My metabolism is such that it's super easy for my body to gain fat and weight - on my 5' frame a small amount of weight is a lot more noticeable.

Lately I've been incorporating more weight training to build muscle and trim up a little, and I'm noticing a huge change in my appetite. I have noticed when I'm lifting weights, I get SO hungry. I find myself adding 200-300 more calories per meal, snacking, and adding extra protein because I'm SO ravenous. I feel like a bottomless pit!

I know that eating enough is important when you're building muscle, and I do allow myself to eat more when I'm hungry, however I'm really not used to eating this much food as a petite person. Admittedly, I've found myself concerned that I'm overeating and it feels a little uncomfortable physically. My tummy feels a little more bloated and just overall feel like I'm gorging myself in order to feel satiated. df

My question is, how can I lift weights and build muscle without overstimulating my appetite? I know that calorie intake is not always correlated with fat loss, but I'm concerned that this type of training is causing me to overeat. Hopefully there are some adjustments I can make with my weight lifting style or diet to help me reach my goals.