Perspiration Pals 1 February 2024

Hello Pals! I’ve just realised that I haven’t started the thread yet. I’ve lost the thread… Someone is drilling something in the building and if there’s something that could drive me insane it’s the sound of a drill. It’s just after lunch now and my energy level is low, if I were an AA battery I’d bounce. Why? See fact-finder fragment.

But first, let’s talk about exercise. I started the day by doing a really good upper-body routine with Brian. Oddly enough though, my upper-body can never be as sore as my lower body. I know muscle soreness doesn’t necessarily indicate a good workout so I can safely say that even though my upper body isn’t sore, it was indeed a good workout.

Moving on to our fact finder fragment. Batteries: Do they really bounce when they are dead? Conventional batteries have an outer layer made of zinc, which once hooked into a circuit, is slowly converted to zinc oxide, while releasing electrons and allowing them to flow, thereby creating electricity. Before a battery has been hooked into a circuit, the zinc molecules aren’t aligned in any particular way. This means that when dropped, these molecules can move slightly, and absorb the kinetic energy. While it’s true that dead batteries bounce, so do half full batteries, and even 99% full batteries. So, if you want to know whether those batteries are dead or not, just put them in a toy that makes a really annoying noise and you’ll see. Do you know who invented the first true battery?

All right, Pals, I must go now but please let the conversation flow. And don’t forget to watch the sunset. (random piece of advice)