Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Warm-Up! Running Warm-Up for Intervals and Speedwork

Good morning FB Family!

Today’s release was designed as a warm-up for your faster-paced runs but can be used for any type of running workout:

Running Warm-Up: Interval and Speedwork Prep

There are three sections in this warm-up: mobility, dynamic movement, and speed drills. Thus, we start with joint stabilization and range of motion and slowly ramp up the intensity to include unilateral balancing exercises and explosive movement patterns. By the end of the warm-up, you should be breaking a sweat and ready to roll right into your pre-run strides/quick leg turnover drills.

I know a 20-minute warm-up seems like an eternity, but the more intense a workout, the longer the warm-up. In the case of speedier runs that require a ton of energy and highly impact the joints, muscles, and tendons, slowly progressing the body through movements that mimic the workout will not only improve your performance but decrease your chances of injury. I used to step outside of my house and immediately start running. Now my running warm-ups are at least 20 to 30 minutes. What once seemed like a lot of time is now a normal part of my routine. I know we can’t always get in a comprehensive warm-up with mobility exercises, but the more often we can include something more than just shuffling for a few seconds and then galloping into a full-on run, the better!

Let’s chat about if/how this warm-up helps your running performance in the comment section below. And let us know what other kinds of running-related content you’re interested in!

See you on the screen!

-Tasha