Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

58 then, 63 now

5 years ago, I was an avid Fitness Blender user, having given up my gym membership in favour of home workouts. The success I achieved in reaching my fitness goals were visible and in turn I had a renewed respect for my body and a boost in self confidence in areas of my life that extended beyond the physical.

And then I injured myself. Improper technique, too hasty, perhaps too self confident. Whatever the cause, on one ill-fated day my body wasn't having it anymore.

In the years that followed I sought other forms of exercise, gentler, less aggressive, yet challenging enough to maintain some degree of fitness. Yoga, walking, rowing, and occasionally swimming were my go to's.

It wasn't until I was getting dressed for a summer wedding that I noticed, really noticed, that my arms had lost definition and were beginning to resemble those of my 94 year old mother. But more important than the appearance of my arms, was the loss of strength.

Opening a jar of pickles wasn't as effortless as it once was. ;)

Which brought me back here. I just completed the 2 week challenge, and am already feeling the difference. I had just completed the Strong Program when I posted the first photo 5 years ago, and now feel up to starting it again, albeit with the necessary adjustments. I've learned to pay close attention to my body as it goes through the moves and to cheer on even the smallest of goals as I regain my strength. There's definitely something to the turtle and the hare scenario.

The second photo I took this morning, after completing the last routine in the 2 week challenge. When I compare the two, I see obvious differences, but I have no desire or need to go back to that 58 year old. The years in between have been full of all kinds of good, some not so good, and have consequently etched themselves on my body and soul.

I have a sign above my mirror that says "Mirror mirror on the wall, what the heck happened!" Well, I have an answer - Life is what happened. So as the years continue to tick on by and my body along with it, I look forward to discovering my limits and embracing the changes.