Attack of the killer DOMS!!!!!

I really should know better...

So we have been on holiday for three weeks, and I haven't been doing really any workouts while we were away - we did some hiking and kayaking, and also I found it a good opportunity to relax and chill a bit. I did do just a little bit of stretching and yoga, but no cardio or strength work, and no running. I normally run once a week, about 9k on a bush track. SO anyway, we got back on Tuesday and I got up on Wednesday morning all keen to get back to my running! I did the full 9km - felt a little slower than normal, but otherwise fine. That was until I got up yesterday - killer DOMS! I have to use both hands on the seat whenever I sit down, and whenever I bend over or try and squat down I groan like an 80 year old. (Hubby offered to put up a mobility bar in the toilet after watching me lower myself gingerly to the seat - he is not funny). I did some stretching last night, and some more this morning, and it is starting to ease off. Moral of the story - after a lay off, make sure you ease yourself back into exercise instead of going gung ho straight away :) I am going to concentrate on some yoga and light cardio next week, then try some shorter runs the week after.