Perspiration Pals 22 November 2023

Hello Pals! It’s a grey and hopeless day here but the sun promised to show its face later today. I’m as sleepy as a newborn sloth and it’s my fault because I still don’t have enough willpower to tell myself to go to bed at 9.30 p.m….

I started the day with a nice (‘nice’) lower-body routine with Brian and my already sore quads weren’t exactly happy about it. I had to take short breaks during the squat hold and my quads were stone-hard. I remember the first time I did Abs 1 about 5 years ago I was really surprised how sore I was all over my body. I naively thought that to train and strengthen your abs all you need to do (or almost all you need to do) is core routines. Well, no.

Anyway, let’s move on to our fact finder fragment. Last time I went grocery shopping I picked up a little bag of ‘high protein mix’ which contains almonds, peanuts, cashew nuts and soy beans, I think. There was a phrase ‘nutri score’ written on the packaging. Do you have any idea what it means? (I do now, I’m just testing you.) I was reading my book on my way to work (the only way I can survive commuting…) and there was this interesting paragraph about the hunt for genes associated with increased happiness. So researchers analysed the DNA from people living in Denmark and other Scandinavian countries and it turned out that Denmark and the Netherlands have the lowest percentage of people carrying a serotonin receptor gene implicated in depression. Interesting isn’t it? Of course, there are external factors contributing to general happiness but it seems that telling people to be positive might not give them the necessary boost.

All right, Pals, I must go now so as usual have an easy day and take care.