Perspiration Pals 9 November 2023

Hello Pals! I’ve been listening to the world's most useless invention, the leaf blower, for about an hour now. (correction 2 hours now) The guy has probably blown all the leaves over to Croatia so dear neighbours, please accept our wonderful present.

I started the day by doing Day 4 of Abs 3 (it’s like a secret code) and it was a short(ish) but tough(ish) lower-body Tasha routine. When my alarm went off, I was so sleepy I bumped into my bed then the wall and I honestly couldn’t imagine doing strength training but I woke up eventually.

I’m still reading that book about how much our genes determine even our most basic life choices and in this fact finder fragment I’ll tell you about why some of us genuinely like exercising while others wouldn’t even budge. Did you know that studies of twins have revealed a genetic component that influences our tendency to work out or not? Apparently, there’s a significant link between a gene called ACTN3 and athletic performance. This protein, found in fast-twitch muscle fibres that generate force at high velocity, is enriched in sprinters and strength exercisers. If people have a mutation that stops this protein from being made then those people tend to be endurance athletes. Interesting, isn’t it?

All right, Pals, regardless of your genes, try to get a workout in and enjoy the rest of the day. Also, don’t blow those leaves.