Perspiration Pals 1 November 2023

Hello there, Pals! How are you today? I hope you’re well. It’s a public holiday here so everything is quiet. I love it! It’s such a relief from the constant noise. The weather is glorious and I’m planning to go outside a little but so far I’ve been doing nothing but putting things off.

The only thing I didn’t put off was working out. I started the day with a nice 50-minute Tasha routine which left me tired and slightly disappointed in myself. I’ve been feeling quite weak in the past couple of days maybe, although I hope it’s not the case, I’m coming down with something.

In other news, my chia project seems to be failing. There was a mass casualty incident a couple of days ago, and I think my chia sprouts must have misunderstood the task of growing into actual chia plants. They thought they would grow like crazy without bothering to grow leaves and then die suddenly. Then I asked myself if I thought I was in Central America. No, I’m not in Central America. Then WHY did you think you could grow chia in a dark, rundown little apartment in Eastern Europe?? I hoped….

I’m currently reading a book by research scientist Bill Sullivan entitled ‘Pleased To Meet Me: Genes, Germs, and the Curious Forces That Make Us Who We Are’ and I thought I’d share some quite interesting facts from the book. For example, do you like broccoli? I absolutely love it. Maybe some of you think it’s vile. But do you know why? Each taste bud is made up of about 50 to 150 taste receptor cells. A gene family called TAS2R makes the taste receptor on these cells that bind to molecules in our food or drink. There are supertasters among us who have more taste buds and they can have genetic variations in their TAS2R genes that make their taste receptors better at detecting bitter flavours. Unfortunately, you supertasters are wrong about broccoli because it’s not toxic and it’s really good for you.

All right, Pals, that’s enough knowledge for today, have an easy day, and take care.