Perspiration Pals 12 October 2023

Hi Pals! Happy little Friday. I thought it was Friday when my alarm rudely interrupted my peaceful slumber so the thought that it’s almost Friday didn’t really comfort me. I got up, opened the window to have a look at the starry sky and then proceeded to let myself be tortured by Tasha.

It was an upper-body routine and I probably swapped the originally scheduled routine. There was an exercise combination, the so-called push-up + alternating side plank press, which seemed innocent enough but I quickly realised that it can potentially turn into an unfortunate accident involving my 5-kilo dumbbell and my skull, as yet unbroken. I did a couple of repetitions on both sides but then I switched to my 3-kilo dumbbells feeling a bit dejected but my skull (and earphones) were probably relieved. Anyway, is there an exercise you keep underestimating?

Let’s move on to our fact finder fragment. I found some quite interesting facts about October so since it seems to be a popular month, I’ll ask you: did you know that the Anglo-Saxons’ name for October was Winterfylleth, with its name containing the words for winter and full moon respectively. It was named this because winter was said to begin from the first full moon of the month? Also, did you know that if you live in the northern hemisphere, you’ll be rewarded for keeping your eyes to the skies in October, as the Draconid Meteor Shower can be seen. It contains a single comet that is visible exclusively in the northern hemisphere between October 6th and 10th. I have no idea what it’s called. Maybe it doesn’t have a name… An even more impressive meteor shower that is visible in both hemispheres is the Orionid meteor shower, which runs from October 2nd until early November. It is named after Orion as it is usually visible in the same part of the sky as the constellation. At the peak of the meteor shower, as many as 20 meteors are visible every hour. I can see Orion from my window every morning.

All right, Pals, I’ve been rudely interrupted by duty so I have to go but make sure you have a nice day. No, actually more than just nice.