Why I love nature conservation work so much…

Replying to a post by Prassana on here earlier this week I said that finding an exercise style or activity you love is very important. Because if you love something you are bound to want to do it a lot, if you don’t like something, having to do it becomes a chore and you are more likely to stop doing it, even if you know it’s good for you.

Well, as some of you on here know: one activity that I love is my nature conservation work. I volunteer at least two days a week (this week actually four, which I guess is a bit much, but I have enjoyed every day!). Days start between 9 and 10 o’clock and we usually finish between 2.30 and 4. So why, now that I am retired and could be doing anything, am I so committed to nature conservation?!

The physical aspect: I love the hard work like sawing, lopping, dragging, lifting, shifting. It’s a total body workout, functional strength training as well as cardio and endurance. It makes me feel very strong and very capable. I am healthier and fitter now at 66 than when I was working.

The social aspect: I enjoy being in the outdoors with like-minded people, the chats and laughter during our breaks. The shared moans when it’s cold and wet. The helping each other where necessary.

The mental aspect: being outdoors all day in beautiful surroundings, doing something worthwhile and as a group achieving some amazing results.

Oh and I nearly forgot: the being nicely knackered at the end of the day and enjoying nothingness afterwards!

These photos were taken yesterday and today on Brownsea Island, in the south of the UK: I guess you could say “chicken soup for the soul”, right?!?

Do you have a “chicken soup for the soul” activity? If so, what is it and would you recommend it to others? I am in the very lucky situation to live in an area where I can do my favourite activity so much. I would certainly recommend it to anyone.

Edited