Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Workout! Core-Focused Vinyasa Yoga for All Levels

Strengthen and stabilize your core with this quick, all-levels accessible, Vinyasa Yoga flow! This total-body practice emphasizes the mind-muscle connection to your core and offers a variety of non-traditional tools to target those deep core muscles. A warm-up, cool-down, and modifications are provided, so join me on the mat for a challenging and rewarding 25 minutes! 

Core-Focused Vinyasa Yoga

As a student and a teacher, I can completely empathize with students that have a love-hate relationship with core work. Beyond the common misconceptions surrounding “what is/is not your core,” and the limited/falsified methods socially perpetuated to target those “6-pack” abs, I can transparently admit that no amount of wisdom or knowledge makes me less susceptible to the social messaging that surrounds having a “tight” core. Furthermore, if you are anything like me, you understand that acting out of fear/insecurity never feels quite right or remains consistent/sustainable. 

My intention with this practice is to properly educate students about the anatomy of the core (please read the write-up below the video for more anatomical details) and the importance of strengthening and stablizing the muscles beyond the rectus abdominus (6-pack muscles). Through this flow, I hope to empower you with a variety of tools and methods that you can utilize to customize a core routine that works for you. I hope that by providing a variety of exercises and postures on multiple planes of movement (lying, kneeling, standing, and everything in between), we can all land on the same page: we use our cores in every single moment of everyday; there is more than one way to engage and strengthen the core; increasing our awareness of our core’s role in these daily moments can lead us to moving with greater intention and physical support, which can decrease the risk of injuries/imbalances long-term. 

The benefits of this workout (and core work in general) are endless because the core is the foundation of every movement we take. Below are some of the highlighted benefits: 

• Improved Posture: The muscles that surround the spine and hips, and make up our pelvic floors are all included in the “core.” All of these muscles work together to help support our posture. By strengthening the deep core muscles, the easier you may find it is to support a more aligned posture while sitting/standing for extended periods of time. 
  • Potential Decrease In Back/Hip Discomfort/Tension: There are many reasons for back and/or hip pain, so I cannot guarantee that strengthening your core will immediately ameliorate all pain in those areas. However, in my experience with my personal practice, in addition to working with many students who suffer from chronically tight hips/back muscles, I often find that these imbalances occur as a result of these areas having to compensate for a weak part of the core. By increasing the amount of support your core can offer, the less tension placed in the back/hips. 
  • Increased Balance/Stability: As I have belabored, the core is the center of where we move from. By strengthening and stabilizing the core you will increase your balance in everyday movements such as walking, standing on one foot, and catching yourself before a trip leads to a fall. 

I hope this practice leaves you feeling challenged, empowered, and inspired! Let me know in the comments below your favorite core exercise! 

With love + light, Marina