NSV: Surviving a Highland Games Injury-Free!

I have been Highland dancing since I was quite young, but haven’t competed as an adult before. It’s a very rigorous form of dance, more similar to a sport, and injuries are very common. It has been said that about a minute of Highland is similar to running a mile. This made me feel nervous about actually competing as I didn’t feel strong enough to do it safely. However, older dancers do exist and 25&over categories are becoming more common. This year I really wanted to return to my favourite Highland Games in Canmore, Alberta (in the Rocky Mountains!) as a personal fitness challenge since they do have adult categories. Using many FB cardio and strength workouts, I successfully improved my fitness level a lot in July and August and competed yesterday in the Games. Not only did I not injure myself, I even won 4th place in one of my dances! I was blown away by the fitness level and talent of the other adult dancers, including many who were quite a bit older than me. I feel proud and inspired, and keen to continue on my fitness journey!