Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Yoga Video! Power Yoga Posture Work-Up: Chaturanga

Don’t hate me . . . but we’re breaking down the Chaturanga today! This collection of drills will not only challenge your upper body strength and mobility, but it will provide you with the tools to work towards building proper alignment in your Chaturanga as well as the rest of your practice. 

Power Yoga Posture Work-Up: Chaturanga

Chaturangas are deceptively challenging! They not only require upper body strength and mobility, but the movement itself utilizes every muscle in the body – not just the shoulders, triceps, and pectorals. This is why I wanted to create a posture workup for this pose: my intention for creating this practice, is to help make this commonly-used movement more accessible for students. Throughout this practice, we will not only explore a variety of strength and mobility drills to help you work towards the full Chaturanga, but we will play with a variety of modifications that you can take to use in your own practice. 

One of my favorite things about Yoga is that it is a practice that is truly accessible for all bodies. I am enjoying the journey of learning how to create more inclusive practices for all levels and experiences, and I hope to honor this intention by taking the time that is necessary to explore the unique relationships that form between each body and each pose.

I cannot guarantee that you will have mastered the perfect Chaturanga by the end of this practice, nor can I assume that a Chaturanga will be accessible to all students someday. However, what I can promise is that with the support of this incredible community, I will continue to educate and empower my students with tools that will support their unique practices. So whether you are an experienced yogi looking for a refresh on the foundations, or you are brand new to the practice, I invite you to come as you are and embrace the challenges and victories that come with this non-tradiitonal flow. 

Regardless of the shape you take, you will surprise yourself with how strong you are. While this practice is designed to offer as many levels as possible with a variety of tools and modifications to strengthen your Chaturanga, feel free to take the tools that serve you and leave what does not. I will demonstrate every variation so, while I encourage you to explore all of these tools and how they feel in your body, I understand that altogether this can feel physically exhausting on the body; please take a pause when it calls to you. I was struggling through the final Chaturangas and drills of this workout, so we can embrace the shakes and wobbles together 😂

I hope that you gain a better understanding of your work and your practice, and that this video helps you to get to know your body at least 1% better. You are strong. You are powerful. You are limitless. 

Thank you for showing up on your mat, 

Marina