Posted in: FB Team / Announcements

New Guided Practice for Leaning Into Discomfort

Sometimes in social settings I have a tendency to want to only surround myself with the familiar. For example, if I’m at a party with my friends, I’ll stick around and talk to my friends rather than branching out to meet new people. This is because I’m comfortable around this familiar group and talking to new people often makes me uncomfortable and unsure of myself. For this very reason, I will challenge myself to do it anyway as often as I am able. 

Many of us avoid uncomfortable situations; after all, this has helped us to thrive and evolve as people over time. However, in extremes, this avoidance can lead to all sorts of mental health concerns like anxiety, depression, or substance abuse. It is important to have the skills to be able to tolerate and even lean into discomfort. 

So, today’s practice will help get you practice with exploring the boundaries of your comfort zone and push past them into territories you find slightly uncomfortable. Practiced over time, you’ll find yourself more resilient and more able to tolerate situations that cause discomfort — an inevitable part of the human experience. 

Guided Practice to Lean Into Discomfort