Daily Check-in: Saturday, May 6th

Hello everyone and welcome to weekend ghost (guest host) check-in on this somewhat extraordinary day, because โ€“ today is King Charles'(s?) Coronation!๐Ÿ‘‘

I have no ties to UK nor any particular feelings regarding monarchies as systems, but even as a neutral spectator I must say wow, what a historic moment, isn't it? (I also musk ask, seeing bits of live footage, where are all these people going to go to toilet?๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ)

The last time UK was having a coronation was 70 years ago (... a sad fact - when I say "70 years ago" what my mind instantly imagines without calculating is a period of pre-WW2 instead what it actually is, the 1950-ies, geez, talk about age denial!)... So most of us were not alive then, the world was a much different place, there was no internet and no FB and no online groups of workout buddies to chat about coronations among other things, and yet here we are, living today a part of the experience that was lived in an entirely different world. Until we discover time machines, keeping some traditions alive is the closest thing to the notion of time travel, no?

Do you feel any kind of special about the coronation? Plan to watch? Be amazed by it, amused, annoyed, indifferent, all of the above?

To me it has the sense of something like Halley's Comet โ€“ longstanding occurrence not having a significant effect on me personally, but rare in a human lifetime so deserving attention. And I like the ceremonialness of it (the coronation, not the comet, though I wouldn't mind at all if grand ceremonies were organized for that too). I believe people have some deep instinctual need for rituals of all sorts and scales, from something as simple as how people greet each other in different cultures, or as old as dancing around fire, to church mass, to singing national anthems at sporting events, to detailed practices of weddings and funerals and so on. I love spontaneity more often than not, but I also think it's comforting or even relaxing to sometimes have a known structure you can just glide into.

The word "coronation" is quite interesting too. You can coronate someone, but if you're a coroner that's not what you're doing ๐Ÿ˜‚ Or if you have a coronary. Or coronavirus. ๐Ÿคจ

Anyway! Not to limit the entire check-in to just one thing, I asked Mr. Google what other day it is today, and I'm surprised how much "international days" of something or other can be found. So from the abundance, I'm choosing to highlight two โ€“ International No Diet Day, and World Naked Gardening Day โ€“ because combined with coronation they created a nice little picture in my head of how to mark the day โ€“ we should go stand in a garden with nothing but flower crown on our heads and eat cake!

See? Gliding into structure. Perfect!๐Ÿ˜Š

Excuse the long "introduction" to what we are really here for โ€“ our everyday checking in. So how is your day? What are you doing or planning to do?

*Everyone is welcome here to talk about whatever is on your mind.

Cheers!