Resetting, rather than obsessing

Hi there lovely FBs,

I really need to vent and perhaps remind myself that health and fitness have its ups and downs. Feel free to read, feel free to skip, or share your own experience. I am here for it.

Since last year I've had to rebuild my fitness to varying degrees a few times. Corona, colds, and such just knocked me off my feet and game, and the most annoying part of it all was: I contracted them all because I met friends who weren't as careful as me and because people generally have been going to work with colds instead of staying home. I've accepted I cannot control such things, the risk is always there, but I'm frustrated that my fitness journey kept being interrupted because of this.

On top of it all, my social life and looking for a job last year was stressful, and although I did find a job this year (yay!), it has of course impacted my time and energy. I wanted to adjust my routine and ended up experimenting with nutrition. I ate more. Really mostly healthy, however, just more. And the crux of the problem is that I started to obsess over balancing my new job and nutrition and working out. Plus wanting to have a social life. If you've read this far, take one thing away: Don't overhink so much! Trust me, it's not worth it.

Reading constantly about how much and what to eat, when to eat, and so on, only led to me over-analysing it. I didn't feel good when I ate more but I thought, I had to stick with it because all the articles said you need energy for your body and for your workout. You need protein, you need this, you need that. It was too much. For me! Because what I understand, and as I keep coming back here a lot of Blenders, too: Listen To Your Body. For me, this means I don't need to obsess over food. The only thing I might need to do is tweak it. A little more fruit here and there. Some more nuts. But not an entire overhaul of my eating habits. Adding insult to injury, my workout routine wasn't stable anymore because obsessing over balancing everything out made me less energetic. I kept rethinking which workout to do the next day and the day after that. It was and is miserable.

So, this is me, reminding myself that there are and always will be things and situations in life that push us back or make things a little harder but that over-analysing and rethinking every little step that has brought you joy and/or success doesn't have to be the result. Though I was frustrated with the health interruptions, I still did have fun in my workouts and my meals. But somewhere along the line, I over-complicated the entire process. Which also led to me thinking very negatively about my body. I was very grateful for the five-day challenge that just came out about healthy body image. Reading the articles of the first two days helped me realise that I need to take a step back, restart with what used to make me happy and it will lead me to my goals. Sometimes slower, sometimes quicker. I just gotta reset because I already found what worked for me and me alone.

I am going to toss the half-assed programme from my calender, start something new, eat how I like and how much makes me feel good at the end of the day, and not punish my innocent body, just because something else works for others.

If you've read till here, thanks for listening to my Rant Talk. Share, tell me how you manage to get out of a funk, let me know how you're doing. Cheers, Ivona

Edited