Posted in: Nutrition / Nutrition Talk

Any autoimmune girlies out there?

I started seeing an acupuncturist in hopes it will help with the autoimmune disease I've had for over 10 years. In addition to the actual condition, it also affects my digestive system as apparently is common with AI conditions. I have always had all kinds of issues with food upsetting me, seemingly random and benign things, and never knew it could be related to my condition until recently.

My acupuncturist is a registered dietician and mentioned to me that in addition to our treatments, it will help if I change my diet to get the inflammation under control. Namely, removing gluten, refined sugars, dairy, alcohol, and other inflammatory foods. I am trying to seriously consider what this would mean for my life if it were to resolve my issues, but it does feel scary to embark on such a restrictive diet.

Are there any blendies out there that have gone through something like this? Did following a diet like this help at all with your digestive upset and/or resolving your AI condition? How did you get started with it? This is all very new to me and I am feeling overwhelmed with it all.

Asking for a friend... :)