Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Workout! Slow Power Yoga Flow for the Upper Body

Utilize your bodyweight and gain some new tools to strengthen the major (and some minor) muscle groups in this upper body focused Power Yoga Flow!

Slow Power Yoga Flow for the Upper Body

This Power class moves extra slow so that we can take the time to integrate the breath, establish proper alignment and activate that mind-to-muscle connection. This practice is intentionally challenging, but modifications are offered throughout to make this accessible for most levels of practitioners. Aside from the modifications offered in the video, please thoroughly read the write-up for further suggestions on how to modify your practice. As always, please make this workout your own and honor your body; take what serves and leave what does not. 

This class includes a warm-up, workout and cool-down. We will explore a range of more traditional exercises to target our shoulders, chest, triceps and upper back; we will also explore some movements that may be new to you, to engage the biceps and strengthen our mind-to-muscle connections. It was definitely a challenge to find some low-impact, bodyweight movements to strengthen the biceps, so if you have additional ideas of bodyweight exercises that isolate/primarily strengthen this area, please let me know in the comments below! 

The beginning of this workout offers an opportunity to play with variations of push-ups (Chaturangas — does calling them this make doing push-ups any better? 😀). I know that these aren’t accessible for everyone, and I am aware that many feel a great level of resistance — even animosity — towards this exercise as well. While I offer tools and modifications to make these push-ups more accessible, I understand that these physical work-arounds may not lessen the mental resistance. So let’s talk about it! 

For a very long time I struggled with push-ups; even now, I struggle with push-ups, and this will most likely be evident in the video. While I can reassure you that this exercise has gotten easier with time and practice, I still have to actively work with the discouragement I feel when I don’t perform to my standards. If you also struggle with push-ups and an associated feeling of discouragement, I hear you. Your feelings are valid. . . pushing your own body weight is no small feat! However, that doesn’t mean that we have to let our resistance stop us from giving this exercise our best. I promise that even with the knees down or working a partial range of motion, you are still benefitting; you are still gaining strength. Additionally, aside from muscular strength, you are creating new neural pathways in the brain as you work through this physically and mentally challenging movement. While I wish I could share a magic spell that makes push-ups instantaneously accessible, the only way to get better at them is to practice them. Work from where you’re at now, and as you stay consistent with this practice, you’ll find that they become increasingly accessible. I invite you to challenge your resistance with me; let’s work on this together! 

I hope that this flow challenges you and that it reminds you of how strong you really are! Let me know in the comments below what you would like to see more of in future videos . . . and don’t forget to share those bodyweight, bicep exercise ideas with me if you got them! 

With gratitude, 

Marina