B
Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Pilates for core and hamstrings

I love to treadmill run, but for awhile now (couple years), it causes low back pain. I used to lift, but have stopped and I kind of think that maybe the treadmill running with no additional strength or workout component is, if not causing, at the very least making my back pain worse. I really, really want to be able to get back to running again, but I forgot how bad the back pain was at night trying to sleep. I'm a 46f and I've put on about ten lbs since I can't run anymore and I really want to get it off and get back to the run (the runner's high is so good to me and I don't feel sluggish when I'm able to run, strength training, walking etc... cannot match how much better I feel when I run). Anyway I'm thinking I need to strengthen my core and hamstrings and was thinking pilates might be the best thing to start with, does that sound right? Any suggestions, especially on the back pain? I have an inversion table that I cannot use due to glaucoma, so I'm thinking my only option here is to strengthen my core and hamstrings and hope that gets me back at it.