J
Posted in: Workouts / Goal Setting

Zone minutes as metric?

Is anyone out there using zone minutes for your goal setting? I'm curious.

A couple months ago I was reading about weight loss and exercise intensity. I decided to experiment with zone minutes as my goal instead of steps or total minutes or other goals.

I set my goal initially at 60 zone minutes a day except for one rest day. That was based on reading the daily recommendation of 30 zone minutes for 5 days (150 moderate exercise or 75 intense); and reading also that for weight loss, aim for 60 zone minutes a day. After a week though I dropped my goal to 50 zone minutes.

It's been an interesting two months. I have steadily lost weight each week for two months, with the exception of one week that went a little crazy. Eating wise I already eat a plant based diet; I also reduced my sugar intake, but not entirely.

I've learned that I really have to walk at a brisk pace to get my heart rate up into zone minutes.

And that even just 10 minutes of cardio from my FB blender videos in the morning (plus weights with no zone minutes), usually means by the end of the day with normal activity (desk job), I hit my goal for the day. It's like that little foundation for my day keeps my body working harder the rest of the day.

As a bonus, I've found that just topping off my minutes for the day with half a mile to 1 mile walk outside and I sleep better from the fresh air.

I'm curious if anyone else has thought about this too?