Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Workout: Slow-It-Down Vinyasa Yoga for Lower Body

Let’s slow things down and strengthen our low back, hips, and pelvic floor from a foundation of support!

Slow Vinyasa Yoga for Lower Body

This all-levels class moves extra slow, as we take the time to break down postures, integrate our breath, and incorporate mindfulness within each aspect of our practice. Please note that this slow-moving class does not mean easy. Accessing postures and holding them for 3-5 full breaths can be very taxing on the muscles and nervous system; this is intentional, as it is how we build a strong foundation of support in our lower body and in our overall practices. This flow invites you to try new movement patterns that might feel a little silly; this flow invites you to embrace the discomfort of our static postures, and recognize the breath as a friend to your nervous system; this flow invites you to be a fully present observer of your experience. Are you willing to get curious? 

Our practice begins with an opportunity to meditate and move gently, slowly landing in the present moment as we integrate the breath. From there we will transition into larger movements intended to activate the core and spark that internal fire. As we continue to build that internal heat, warming the body through, we will feel into the inner-workings of our pelvic floor muscles and the muscles that line the girdles of our hips. The peak of our practice is an extended hold in Bridge Pose, where we will stimulate the abdominal organs, including the kidneys. This gentle pressure placed on our kidneys helps to set in motion (although they are always working) their primary functions: cleansing the blood of toxins and transforming waste into urine. So, if you have to hit the restroom shortly after, that is completely normal. Our practice winds down with some feel-good counter poses, and as always, we will close with a Savasana. 

My intention for this practice is to bring in another level of mindfulness to our movement. As I’ve mentioned before, I find it tempting to turn on autopilot and move through the movements as though my practice is just something to check off a list. However, I notice that when my practice becomes a chore or a to-do, the more likely I am to prioritize other to-dos and neglect the time for myself. Additionally, I’ve realized that it is difficult to carve out time for myself as, my time not only feels limited but, I’ve attached not-so-loving meanings/judgments to taking time for myself; there’s a lot of resistance there, internally and externally. However, I’ve also learned that in order for me to show up as the best version of myself–fully present, curious, open to engaging–I have to prioritize time for myself. Moving mindfully, practicing presence (not by being perfect at it by lovingly calling my mind back again and again) allows me the space to release what I am ready to let go of, and maybe pick up new things that will better serve me down the road. The work I do on my mat translates off my mat, and I try to remember that as I set my intentions for my practice. 

I hope this practice leaves you feeling rinsed, released and empowered. Let me know in the comments below: What was your favorite pose in this practice, and why? 

With love + light, 

Marina