Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Free Workout: Lower Pure Body Strength with Supersets & A Reflection on Strength Training

Dear Blenders,

Grab your medium-to-heavy weights and join us for today’s free workout release: 

Lower Body Pure Strength Supersets

This lower body workout combines traditional strengthening exercises with bodyweight floor-based supersets. The result is a highly modifiable routine with straightforward working timers and rest breaks. Both strength circuits feature an AB format that can be done with one or two medium-to-heavy dumbbells or kettlebells. For reference, I used 20-lb dumbbells. 

I want to take a moment to discuss the difference between traditional and functional strength training in response to a majority of the comments on my previous free release workout, Bodyweight Core and HIIT Cardio

Traditional strength training, like today’s release, comes in many shapes and forms but usually includes squats, deadlifts, push-ups, etc. These exercises directly strengthen the intended area but don’t necessarily carry over into real life. Consider the last time you picked up clothes from the floor. Did you stop, squat with perfect form, and stand while holding the item close to your chest? I would guess that a majority of us, including myself, would say no. 

Instead, you probably balanced on one leg while reaching to the floor or crouched and scooped several items at once. This requires functional strength to prevent you from falling over, collapsing, or injuring yourself. Functional strength training prepares you for real world scenarios and challenges our muscles in a completely new and different capacity.

Truthfully, functional strength training can be less exciting than strength training. However, it benefits everyone regardless of age, fitness level, or lifting experience. In future workouts, I challenge you to consider adding 1-2 functional strength moves into your rotation. More often than not, these movements increase core, low back, hip, and shoulder stability and helps you avoid chronic pain or dysfunction. And, as a physical therapist, showing you how to avoid those issues is a major win! 

Other comments on that video mentioned the complexity of the workout format and my limited cueing. I am hopeful that today’s release addressed those issues. If you have some time, please let me know your thoughts, and I look forward to seeing you on screen.

- Kayla