Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Plus Workout! Quick Power Yoga to Strengthen Inversions

Tired of traditional core work? Or maybe you’re looking for specific drills to help you build your inversion/arm balance practice? Whichever you’re looking for, I’ve got just the video for you! 

Quick Power Yoga for Core: Advanced Core Work to Strengthen Inversions

This practice is filled with a variety of drills to strengthen your total core! Remember, your core is more than just those 6-pack abs you see all over mainstream media; while there’s nothing wrong with having a six-pack, it’s important to know that having those muscles showcased doesn’t equate to having a functionally strong core. Additionally, your core is made up of your back muscles, your hip flexors, your intercostal muscles (muscles in between your ribs) and all those little (and big) muscles in between; there are 29 pairs of muscles in the entire core. . . and your 6-pack, also known as your rectus abdominis, is actually just 2 of those muscles separated by a connective tissue (linea alba). Now that we’ve totally nerded out over our core, let’s dive deeper into this workout! 

As I mentioned before, this practice works your total core. The drills offered throughout this flow are intentionally challenging, but we do take the time to break down the movement patterns, move slowly with control and intention, and most movements are available with modifications. Furthermore, with the support of our yoga blocks and resistance band, we have more flexibility to modify the exercises so that they more appropriately meet your level of work. Please keep in mind that while the props may make one exercise more accessible, they also have the ability to modify in the other direction – making an exercise more challenging. For example: I personally love using the blocks as leverage and support in my Down-Dog. While I also love using the blocks under my palms during a Chaturanga (high to low plank), it does increase the depth in which I have to lower my chest, which increases the range of motion I have to access in my shoulder joints. To summarize, the blocks modified my Down-Dog to make the posture more accessible for me, and on the flip-side it increased the level of challenge in my Chaturanga. Depending on your intention for each exercise, I ask that you remain mindful while using your props. 🙂

For my inversion/arm-balance practitioners: The drills in this video really helped to expand my inversion practice and helped me to refine the inversions already in my practice, because they helped me to target my imbalances. For example, traditional and tripod headstand was a part of my practice from the beginning, but when I first began piking my feet overhead, I didn’t realize how much I was compensating for the movement with my low back. It wasn’t until I found some of the drills you’ll see in this video (and my low back started hurting), where I realized how much work I needed to do with my hip flexors. When students ask me how to begin working towards an inversion, these are the drills I recommend first. I would much rather us slowly work up to getting upside down from a foundation of strength, support and alignment, over mastering the actual inversion; plus, this way, the rest of your practice will benefit as well. 😀

I hope that you enjoy this practice and that it challenges you! If you love getting upside down or curious about how to begin, what inversions/arm-balances can I support you in? Comment below!

I hope to see you on the mat again soon! 

Marina