Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Plus Workout: Full Body Unilateral Strength Training

Hello hello, Fitness Blender Family! Wow, am I ever excited to be your newest fitness content creator! 

I'd love to share a few details about myself before we dive into talking about this workout :) I live in Wisconsin with my husband and miniature Goldendoodle, AJ. People will often say she and I are attached at the hip, she's on my lap right now as I write this. In my free time, I love getting my body moving in new ways (could you have guessed?), experimenting with healthy recipes and sweet treats, adventuring/traveling, and spending time with loved ones. I know this little snapshot barely scratches the surface so I look forward to connecting much more with you all in the months to come!

As Tasha and the team shared, fitness for me goes far beyond the physical. I believe that movement is a gateway to leading a fulfilling life in many ways - physically, mentally, emotionally, you name it. Movement has been an integral part of my life since I was very young, and ever since, it's continued to elevate my life again and again! Amidst the workouts to come, I hope to help you remember your wholeness, live authentically & connect to your inspiration so you can live up to your highest potential.

With that, let's talk more about this new workout. 

Full Body Unilateral Strength Training

Who has heard of or dabbled with unilateral training before? As a former gymnast, I’m a sucker for training styles that incorporate balance. With unilateral training, we’re focused on one side of the body at a time, as opposed to common bilateral movements that involve both sides. It comes with a whole host of benefits but some of my favorites include the increased mind-to-muscle connection that’s required, the bonus core stability that’s found in every exercise, and the fact that it keeps my mind and body on their toes! Infusing a new and unique training approach sometimes is just the thing we need to stay motivated with movement and cut through plateaus. 

It’s no doubt that this workout will provide you with a great opportunity to learn more about your body! It would be great for the person looking for a total body workout that will leave you feeling strong and balanced by the end. 

For the workout we will be going through 7 pairs of exercises, completing each pair 2x before moving on at an interval of 40 seconds active / 20 seconds rest. Each exercise will involve a movement pattern with one side of the upper body and one side of the lower body. I will be using dumbbells in the medium to heavy range, but if you’re new to this style of training, I encourage you to use light weights your first time through this routine. Your warm up and cool down are included and modifications will be shared. 

I’m curious to hear more about your experience with unilateral training and what you discover about yourself after doing this workout! 

Cheers to trying new things,

xxErica