Hitting reset: Reflections of 2022 and looking ahead

Heyyyy FB Fam. How're ya'll doing??

I know it's that time of the year again when people set resolutions (do you?) or goals or intentions for the year ahead. And maybe this post is going to outline some of those, for me, but it's also kind of just to purge my thoughts out somewhere, a type of catharsis to help me move on from the year that was (maybe I need to try journalling...)

So, 2022 was a horror year for me, and apparently other people too from what I've seen and heard. Why, you ask? Well...

It started in March, when I nearly lost my father due to a botched emergency surgery on a ruptured hernia, which resulted in him needing a second corrective surgery, and developing pneumonia. It was touch and go for days on end. This was all happening during a Covid spike and I was unable to see him. Thankfully (miraculously), after a month in hospital, he pulled through.

Then in April, my mother began feeling unwell. Thankfully, the tests all came back clear, but she developed anxiety due to the trauma of being almost certain she had a deadly disease, so she moved in with us for a few months because she couldn't take proper care of herself. I too have anxiety/depression so it was hard for me to see her like this, knowing fully well how it feels.

In May, my job that I was already unhappy in became insufferable and I ended up leaving, due to mental health reasons. Thankfully, I got a job elsewhere that I absolutely love and the people are amazing. One of the only highlights of the year (which is kinda sad lol).

In June, my husband burned out from work stress and had to take time off work. So not only had I just started a new job, I was looking after the two people that I usually looked up to, myself, for support.

Things were starting to look up in August/September, until I was referred to a gynaecologist and scheduled for laparoscopic surgery due to ongoing, extremely painful periods. I had finally thrown in the towel and decided enough was enough. So October came around and after the surgery, I was diagnosed with what I had long suspected to be the case - endometriosis stage two.

By November I was basically dragging myself by my fingernails to the finish line that was Christmas. After all, we had a 4 week holiday to the UK and Europe to see family, planned. The thought of that kept me going. Then I got gastro and was bedridden for three days.

By December, all was mostly well again. My Dad had survived a near-death experience, my Mum and husband were feeling much better, and my job was going really well. A week or so before Christmas Day we jetted off, and the MOMENT we touched down on UK soil (ok, maybe a day or two give or take, it's all a blur to me, now) we came down with the dreaded Corona!! Oh, and our luggage went MIA for two days. To say I was spitting tacks would be a disservice.

Christmas Eve and Day were spent in bed, sweating and shivering and coughing and spluttering. Covid had robbed me of the one day I looked forward to celebrating the most every year, AND my sense of taste and smell went AWOL for about two weeks. (But did that stop me from eating? No.)

So yes, 2022 was, indeed, a b*tch, right to the bitter end. I have never been so glad to start a new year than I am, this year! I have just finished my first level 4 strength workout in roughly two months (it kicked my BUTT) and am so glad to be starting a new chapter (nay, make that a whole new BOOK lol).

Anyway, all that to say, I plan on 2023 being a year of holistic and sustainable wellness, less regimented, and "going with the flow" more, as if 2022 taught me anything it's that life has a way of doing what it wants, no matter what your own agenda might be.

When it comes to exercise, I plan to meet my body where it is, on the day, and ask, "what do I feel like doing today?" whether that be strength training or HIIT, or literally lying in savasana for an hour. I am not going to let exercise feel like a chore, anymore.

I am not making exercise about weight loss anymore, either, as it has been damaging to me in the past and has gotten me nowhere, quite honestly. I refuse to compare myself to former versions of myself, or to others, any longer. Quite frankly, there is more to life than being a number on a scale or on a tag inside a pair of jeans. I exercise because I LOVE to work up a sweat. I LOVE to feel strong. I WANT to put my health first. And I appreciate everything that my body can do for me, even if there a few more creaks and cracks and aches and pains, than there used to be.

So tell me - how was 2022 for you? What is your intention/s for the year ahead? I would love to know.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk! *gets down off soap box*