Posted in: FB Team / Announcements

New Beginner's Mind Meditation

Think of the last time you were new at something. How did you approach that thing, mentally? For me, it was learning how to play pickleball. Because I was completely new, I asked a million questions, tried to learn everything I could, and was able to take correction to my form pretty easily without a hit to my ego. It wasn’t until I got a little better that the ego got in my way and I stopped asking as many questions. What is it about experience that takes us out of the present moment and into expectations for the future based on past experiences? 

Beginner's Mind Meditation for a Fresh Perspective

This beginner’s mind practice is a form of mindfulness meditation wherein one attempts to approach something as if they are brand new to it. You have never seen/experienced the thing before. You imagine what you would want to know, what you are aware of as you engage with/in it, and how you would feel. This permits us to be in the present moment and suspend judgment of ourselves and others, even if just for a moment. In my personal experience, it also brings back a sense of innocence and purity to my life as well. 

So, give this meditation a try and then apply the concept to other areas of your life as well. I’d love to hear how it goes for you all!