Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Plus Video! Gentle Yoga For Limited Mobility

Join me on the mat for an all-levels, total-body restorative yoga flow! This unconventional yoga practice was designed to provide individuals with limited mobility–due to an injury, illness or other limitation–an accessible option for total-body movement. 

Gentle Yoga For Limited Mobility

Throughout this practice, we will challenge our mobility and flexibility while exploring a variety of active movements and passive static stretches all from our backs. This flow, while can serve as a mild warm-up, cool-down, or add-on to another workout, is a great stand-alone practice for individuals looking for an extra gentle movement practice. Please be sure to consult a trusted medical professional if you’re not sure if this practice is suitable for you; as always, feel free to make this practice your own, modifying or leaving out what does not serve you. Personally, I find a practice like this great to take in the evenings, since it allows me to expend any extra energy/tension I might have stored in my body, and serves as a tool to wind down and calm my mind before sleep, as well. 

In addition to the gentle muscular activation we will explore throughout the integration, warming, exploration and peak sections of our practice, we will supplement our movements with Breath of Fire. This breath is completely optional, however, it can serve as an excellent tool to further warm the body, increase caloric burn, and tone the abdomen. There are so many benefits to Breath of Fire, so be sure to check out the workout write-up for more information. While I do provide a short explanation for how to utilize Breath of Fire, you can access a more detailed description of how to perform this breath exercise here: Vinyasa Yoga: Stretch + Flow With Breath Of Fire (Check out the first 3 minutes of the video for a description and demonstration). 

While you could really take this flow from anywhere you feel comfortable laying and moving on your back–yes, even your bed– I recommend–if it is accessible for you–to take this practice from the floor, preferably on a comfortable yet sturdy surface. There are tons of benefits to laying on your back, specifically on the floor! Sitting and standing all day can negatively impact our posture and increase the amount of tension we carry, eventually causing discomfort/pain and even imbalances in the back body. Taking some time on the ground not only helps us to mentally feel more grounded, but can help address many of the issues in our posture. Laying flat on your back helps to alleviate these posture problems, because you are intentionally lengthening your spine. Furthermore, laying on the floor can relieve much of the impact that specifically hits your lower back when you stand or sit, since we are more evenly distributing your weight across a larger surface area. It’s important to note that laying on a firmer surface is key to addressing these issues, because it provides support for the lengthening of your spine, whereas a softer surface will allow your spine to curve. With all of that being said, please note that you can take most of the postures offered throughout the sequence, from a seat if necessary. 

I hope this practice leaves you feeling more connected to your breath and body! Let me know what sort of yoga videos you would like to see next! 

With love + light, Marina